Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Backyard Raised Bed: Phase 1

I have completed the first leg of the natural rock retaining wall and planting beds.  I know of a neighborhood under construction that has the motherload of rock piles.  Ive been making mutiple trips, filling entire pickup truck bed loads, and I havent even put a dent in the rock piles!  Eventually, all of the mulch beds in the backyard will be raised like this.  It is also going to help when its time to start planting shrubs, in that I wont have to dig in rock!  For the fill, I use Gardenville "Scrapings."  Scrapings are like the bottom of each pile, pushed into one giant mound.  Its dirt cheap...(pun intended) at $5.00 per cubic yard.  I love it because it has a little bit of everything.  Soil, compost, gravel, granite, mulch...it does have some trash in it...i.e. grass clippings and leaves, but for $5.00 per yard you cant beat it!  I got an entire heaping truck bed full for $7.50...(1-1/2 yards, about all my truck can handle.)






No comments:

Post a Comment